Thursday, June 4, 2015

Choosy Eater's Mommy: 10 ways to make life easier

Archimedes must not have screamed Eureka with as much passion as I do when my one year old eats something and likes it. And those events are far and few between. It certainly lifts my mood straight to festive. Being a semi-superstitious person, I touchwood immediately and think of all the Gods and cast a warning on all the negative powers that be. And this is only after the first spoon.


Imagine the kind of pressure I feel under, every time I pick up a spoon to feed my baby. Second spoon or on a good day third spoon onwards the squirming starts. Then whining. Soon the face and duck trick and many other more effective ditching methods are employed. So, I have to come up with tools and armoury of my own. We have the distracting toys, the engaging stories, rhymes sung in quite a high pitch with crazy eyeball action. After about 45 mins of this war of wills, I realise that we're not even halfway done! Then the ultimate nuclear weapon, the computer is powered on with YouTube captivating my ever so curious daughter and me trying to get as much as possible in her tiny stomach as is possible for her to eat.

How tiresome. And imagine to do this activity 5-6 times a day. No wonder I had reached a time and place in
my life where I knew this HAD to change ! Here are a few bullet points that helped me cope:

1. No Pressure - NO one wants that loaded spoon. Loaded with your anticipation. your prayers and expectations and on top of that that yellow dal. I stopped putting so much pressure of making her eat on myself.

2. Try to study whether your child likes many small meals or few large meals. And also what goes easy on the both of you.

3. Try to inculcate some independence. depending on the age offer her titbits she could eat and enjoy on her own rather than you feeding every spoonful. Ex: my daughter HATES getting her hands wet/food dirty. So, I give her rice crisps or other dry small food that she can enjoy without the chocking hazard.

3. Do not push the child's limit. Mealtime is supposed to be as enjoyable an activity as anything else. But if that's going south at least lets not make it a third degree site. If you feel you are crossing the limit of the child's patience, take a break. sit, play for a while and then renew efforts.

4. If the baby doesn't like something right away. Stop. Try again tomorrow.

5. If the medicines are to be administered with the meal, try halfway. So that if the meds are too unappetizing, the child doesn't remain hungry for that meal time. when I tried to give my daughter medicines after her meals, she used to be so done and dusted with the process that she wouldn't want ANYTHING in her mouth then. So halfway seems best.

6. There is no harm in a little screen time to get things started. Keep trying different techniques and play methods. Try eating with her/him. Stick with the method that works, but keep exploring.

7. Define a strict timeline during the day. Once the child is habitual of eating at a particular time everyday, he/she will eat that much quantity with less difficulty( Im not saying easily) :D.

8. Relax. You are only feeding your baby. Remember, no matter what happens today, your baby will grow up and no longer need you so much after a few years. So spend as much time with him/her now as is possible.

9. Try different textures and recipies for baby food. Try different activities while eating. Try to eat as a family.

10. If nothing works, and your child seems to be seriously upset or in pain every time you feed - consult the doctor immediately. Keep your baby hydrated. If not in pain, but simply not eating due to teething or any other temporary issue, give generous amounts of sweet water or milk. But keep the liquids coming. Monitor wet and dirty diapers. and call the doc if your gut tells you to.

No comments: