Thursday, June 4, 2015

My Birthstory

I always had a feeling that my child will be born exactly on the due date ! So when the day before the due date of the auspicious day of ram navami( Lord Ram’s Birthday) started to fold, I kinda got desperate.
I walked and walked miles and miles in the garden by a lake in the neighbourhood with my husband, squatted indefinitely in front of the TV, posted on facebook asking my friends on the group to advice me on how to get my labour started.
Husband and wife, determined to evict the overdue tenant, did the deed with surprising satisfaction.
I was musing on the benefits of this approach that I heard the plop sound, and my water broke.
I had seen hundreds of movies where water breaks in dramatic fashion. I knew what is meant by when "water breaks". Still -Nothing could’ve prepared me for that feeling when it felt like someone unplugged a giant tub of transparent liquid, that isn’t pee, and on which you have absolutely no control and you’re already standing in a puddle of it before you say “Ohmigod!! My water broke”.
Infact nothing ...nothing at all could prepare me for everything that happened that day.....
I was so excited!! I was finally going to see my baby! My husband and I kept exchanging smiles and sweet looks filled with anticipation and expectation and our own little secret.
When I reached the hospital it was around 2:00 AM, and it was locked. Yeah. It was locked and I was standing outside causing small lakes to form around my feet. TMI and gross. Yes.
Thank God, we had called them up asking them to expect us. We woke up the sleeping guard who let us in.
I was admitted, and was giddy with happiness... that is, until the wave of pains started rolling in.
Oh Lord Almighty the pain !.. I tried to keep track of the timings between contractions, but after the pain became constant and unbearable, I didn’t see the point of it, as I was already in the hospital.
6.5 hours flew by and it was already 8:30 in the morning and I was 5 cms dilated and in excruciating pain. I vaguely remember my family taking turns to sit by my side. My dear husband was constantly with me, massaging my back, holding my hand, being a constant support. My mum and dad and brother, poor guys, they didn’t know what they should do to reduce my pain even a little bit. The more they tried to comfort me the more I snapped at them. Not good, but couldn’t help it. I could see the helpless expressions on my mum’s face. My dad was grinning “I’m so proud of you” grin, but that was making me snap even more. You should really check your timing when around preggy women :).
Around 9, the doctor came in, and she told me that the baby wasn’t getting engaged properly because the baby’s head was too big to go thru the pelvis, and we’d have to operate. She also informed me that natural delivery was possible by forceps, but that had risk of causing damage to
the head of the baby. Well, I said, I didn’t want to take even 1% risk that way, and if an operation was the only answer to it, so be it.
I was rushed in the OT, where a spinal anaesthesia was administered and I was totally numb waist down. My eyes were closed, but I could hear everything. My sweetheart of a husband was with me the whole time.

At 9:10, exactly on my due date- my beautiful baby girl was born. I could hear her vigorous, full, strong cry. What a moment!
All I could think of was how my child looks, while I was patched, cleaned up and shifted onto the stretcher to be moved into my room. By the time I reached the room, she too was cleaned and dressed in her first clothes :). I couldn’t get up to see all of her, but she was lying in a crib right next to my bed. My brother showed me a picture. She was wearing a white onsie and looked like an angel. I saw that and then drifted into a haze that lasted hours. Once I got up the facts hit me with full effect– I’ve become a mother of a daughter. A beautiful lovely daughter with her own fate and destiny and whom I promised that I’ll give the best of the world, as any mother would.

14 comments:

Shruti Gour said...

So beautifully written...

Snehal said...

Thank you Shruti !!

Unknown said...

So relatable, loving ur writing style

Snehal said...

Thank you Reshu !! I just discovered your blog too !! You write very well !

Unknown said...

Thanks snehal....blog made our journey to motherhood in sync :)
Happy writing

Jhilly said...

Wow....loved every bit of it....beautiful....

Snehal said...

Thank you Saisri !! <3

Snehal said...

Thank you Saisri !! <3

Unknown said...

Oh my! I missed this blog .. It's beautiful how you have shared your experience and how it will lastly forever in those words..

Snehal said...

Thank you Pragati !! :)

Unknown said...

Very beautifuly written.. I loved it..

Unknown said...

Very beautifuly written.. I loved it..

Jhilly said...

Read it once again and my eyes became moist.....Happy belated birthday to Narayani :) May god bless her with all the happiness in the world:)....

Snehal said...

Thank you Saisri !! You are so kind :) .. And she IS an April baby - just like you :)