Monday, June 6, 2016

Back Magic! - Ain't no light matter.



Translation of the title- Don't take the back lightly. :)

Raising kids is back breaking! Well, it almost broke mine.. and I have just one kid. I cannot even begin to fathom how people with multiple kids and no help do it!

I have been very lucky and had not experienced back pain during pregnancy or even until now- that is almost 2 years post-partum. But last month, I got to know the horrible monster that back pain is.

My daughter went through a bad phase of sleep regression and growth spurt that combined into a giant problem for my back. That phase lasted a few days and some very long nights when she would get up several times (almost every half hour). In order to preserve my husband's sleep (and his next day at work) I slept light and picked up my daughter quickly every time she woke up. The sudden quick movements of picking up my daughter, and almost no rest in between finally gave my back away after years of successful survival.
This self sacrifice almost seemed pointless when I was on almost complete bed rest for the next few days after that. Getting up from being horizontal to vertical took 4 minutes BY the clock. And thats pretty long.

This near back-death experience almost transported me into another world- where so many people are already suffering from chronic back trouble and I had just joined ranks. It suddenly felt humbled to know how much for granted I was taking my own!

My Yoga teacher says : "You are as young as your spine!" and rightly so. God knows I felt a hundred years old when I was on bed rest.

I'm no expert, but from my experience here is my take on the matter.

Prevention! - 
Be aware of your back when you sit/stand/walk. Don't stress unnecessarily, but make it a habit to support your back while it supports you. Don't slouch. There is a TON of stuff on youtube and internet in general to guide you to take better care of your back while you sit/stand/drive/lie down.


Here are a few tips that I've incorporated in my life to strengthen my back:


1. Watch that posture: Mind the way to sit, stand, lie down, sleep, drive, read and write.

2. Take a break every 45 mins from sitting at the table - Gives eyes and shoulders, neck a rest too

3. Eat right & Eat right supplements. - Try to eat as much fresh, healthy, organic food as possible. Supplements should be recommended by the physician.

4. 10-15 mins of stretching and choice yoga-asanaas focusing on the back, neck and spine.

5. Be careful while picking up/putting down heavy stuff - Bend your knees and avoid sudden movements.

Helpful Links: 

Read:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Posture_for_a_Healthy_Back

http://www.everydayhealth.com/pictures/best-worst-supplements-help-back-pain/


Watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv70og05g9Q&list=PLT6ZE8ADGyRHUmkwNOeB023YAORja-r9D
 (Courtesy: Sawant Yoga)

Cure?:

Prevention is definitely better than cure but its never too late !!
If you've already hurt yourself ie. there is persistent back pain that won't go away after a good night's sleep, it is best to visit a reputed doctor or a physiotherapist. The more you delay matters, the more harm you are allowing to happen to yourself. Similarly, the earlier you attend to the pain, the faster you are helping your body to heal itself.

I use practo.com to help me find good medical assistance. If that is available for you- you can try it too!

Thankfully- I'm already on the path to remedy the damages I've done to my back and hope I've been of some help to those who need it!! 

No comments: